The deadline for applying is December 1st for the following September. We begin a new cohort once per year each autumn.
All materials are submitted online. No paper materials will be accepted. Materials needed for the application include:
- Unofficial transcripts (if you are admitted, you will need to provide official transcripts).
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume including: (i) current position or activities; (ii) professional experience, with positions, approximate dates, duties and names of supervisors; (iii) honors awarded or scholarships; (iv) special skills; (v) publications and research presentations.
- Statement of purpose (2 single-spaced pages):A concise narrative addressing each of the following topics: (i) your interests in biology, (ii) previous research experiences, (iii) reasons for pursuing a doctoral degree in Biology at the University of Washington, and (iv) the ways your history (e.g., non-research related professional activities, cultural or socioeconomic background, other factors) has contributed to your outlook and professional goals. Please address each topic in turn.
- List of 3 Biology faculty of interest to you. It is recommended that you contact faculty of interest prior to applying.
- GRE scores. Official GRE scores must be submitted by the December 1 deadline. The ETS Code for the University of Washington is 4854. No department code is needed
- Names and contact information for 3 references who can speak to your experience and interest in biological research and work ethic.
Should you apply?
Typically, entering students have completed an undergraduate biology program that includes college level courses in chemistry, physics, and mathematics. The Department also accepts promising students with less traditional backgrounds. Most entering students have substantial prior research experience and a record of high academic achievement. If you meet these criteria, we recommend that you contact one or more faculty in your area of interest to inquire further about their research and your potential fit in our program, and examine our detailed application requirements below.
Minimum Requirements for Admission
- Baccalaureate (BA or BS) degree from a college or university in the United States or equivalent (may be pending at time of application)
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Submission of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. We strongly urge that you take the GRE no later than October. No subject test is required. Our institutional code is 4854.