Click here to apply to the Biology major Spring applications are due Friday, April 6, by 11:59pm
Admission to the BA and BS Degrees offered by the Department of Biology will be by competitive application process. This process is designed not to limit access to the major but to assist students in careful planning and preparation for success in the Biology Major. Students are encouraged to visit Biology Advising early in their academic career or prior to transfer to begin planning for the major.
Applications for the undergraduate degree programs in Biology will be accepted quarterly. A completed electronic application will be due the second Friday of Autumn, Winter, Spring, & Summer quarters by 11:59pm. Applications received by the system after the quarterly cut off will be considered for the subsequent quarter.
Minimum application requirements for a Biology Major:
1. Be a matriculated student at the UW Seattle Campus and in good academic standing.
2. Complete the Introductory Biology series or equivalent courses to UW BIOL 180, 200, 220 and have a minimum grade of 2.0 in EACH course.
3. Have a minimum 2.5 Cumulative GPA for any supporting course work in Chemistry*, Physics, Math, Biology or other courses intended for use in the Biology major that are complete at the time of application.
*Please note: Starting Autumn 2017, UW Chemistry requires that students take an onlime Chemistry placement test in order to register for CHEM 110 (prep Chem), 120, 142, & 143 (Accelerated Chem). Contact the Chemistry Department for details.
Meeting these minimum requirements will not guarantee admission to the Biology major. Other factors in admission include review of application questions, space availability in the major, and time to degree set by UW Satisfactory Progress Policy.
Autumn 2017: Open July 1 to October 6
Winter 2018: Open October 7, 2017 to January 12, 2018
Spring 2018: Open January 13 to April 6, 2018
Summer 2018: Open April 7 to June 29, 2018
The Admissions Process:
- Once your completed application is submitted, you will receive an email confirmation.
- Applications close the 2nd Friday of the quarter. Application review is completed and offer emails are sent by the 3rd Friday of the quarter.
- Once offer emails are sent, the student has 7 days to click the survey link and accept the offer. Please check that the offer email did not land in your spam/junk folder.
- Students who are not offerred admission will receive a notification email and are welcome to reapply in the following application cycle, if eligible.
- Students will be declared in the system in time to remove major-related holds for the next quarter's registration.
*Please note: The system will not allow you to apply to the major if you do not meet the minimum requirements*
We strongly encourage students who do not meet the minimum application requirements to meet with a Department of Biology Academic Adviser to discuss their options. Walk-in advising is available M-F* 9am-12pm and 1-4pm (*1:30-4 on Thursdays). You may also make an individual appointment by contacting one of the Biology Advisers directly.
- For information about applying to the University of Washington, contact the Office of Admissions
- If you are transferring to UW from a Washington State community college and you want to know what courses will transfer, please take a look at the UW Course Equivalencies for Community Colleges in Washington
- To have your introductory biology courses from another school evaluated, please email an adviser and attach a syllabus that includes course content and a lecture schedule.
The Department of Biology is currently the largest undergraduate major on the UW Seattle campus. The majors below provide training in biology at all levels, from introductory to highly advanced, and give students the opportunity to choose a curriculum that best suits their needs. Specific requirements for each curricular track can be viewed below:
DEGREES: The Department of Biology offers two degree programs, one leading to a B.A. in Biology and one leading to a B.S. in Biology. The B.S. in Biology offers 5 curricular options.
- B.A. General Biology Handout (Checklist for the B.A.)
- B.S. General Biology Handout (Checklist for the B.S.)
- B.S. Ecology, Evolution, & Conservation Biology Handout (Checklist for EEC)
- B.S. Molecular, Cellular & Developmental Biology Handout (Checklist for MCD)
- B.S. Physiology Handout (Checklist for PHYS)
- B.S. Plant Biology Handout (Checklist PB)
Biology Academic Services Office can help you decide which path is best for your individual goals. We also recommend that you see an adviser at least every other quarter.
Interested in finding out what courses will be offered when? Here is the Biology course matrix for the Biology B.A. and B.S. degrees for the 2017-2018 school year as well as previous schedules.
- 2017-2018 Courses for the Biology B.A. & B.S. Degrees aka the Matrix of classes
- 2016-2017 Courses for the Biology B.A. & B.S. Degrees aka the Matrix of classes
- 2015-2016 Courses for the Biology B.A. & B.S. Degrees aka the Matrix of classes
- 2014-2015 Courses for the Biology B.A. & B.S. Degrees aka the Matrix of classes