The biology grants staff assist faculty, postdocs, and grads identify possible funding sources, process proposals, and oversee the administration of grant awards. It is best to start the application process as soon as possible, you can schedule an appointment with grants staff to discuss application plans, budget, and the grant submission process. Staff can also provide current rates for budget items (salaries, benefits, tuition, and indirect costs) and specific wording for certain sections of the budget justification.
To ensure the grant process flows smoothly you should always:
- Read current guidelines and follow instructions carefully.
- Allow enough time.
- Respect staffs’ time: make and keep appointments. Be aware staff are generally working on several proposals at the same time—many with the same deadline. Other proposals cannot be set aside to expedite processing of late proposals.
- Be flexible and open to suggestions.
- Stay in touch with staff until your proposal is submitted.
Finding Funding Opportunities
- Limited Submissions (Office of Research)
- Grant Deadlines (Prepared by Biology Department)
- Funding Calendar (Fellowships)
Grant Preparation & Submission
- Biology Grant Submission Timeline & Responsibilities
- Budgeting for Graduate Support
- Arts & Sciences - Research Services and Proposal Preparation Factsheet
- Financial Interest Disclosure System (FIDS)
- Prepare Proposal (Office of Sponsored Programs)
- New to UW Research
- My Research: a personalized, cross-cutting view of various research-related activities
Training for Research & Grants
- UW Required Training for Research
- Faculty Grants Management Program
- NSF Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR)
- Biomedical Research Integrity (NIH RCR)
- Public Health Service (PHS) Financial Conflicts of Interest (FCOI) Training
- SAGE (System to Administer Grants Electronically)
- Grant Tracker
- MyFinancial Desktop
- Environmental Health and Safety
- Human Subjects Division
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
- Office of Research
- Office of Sponsored Programs
- CoMotion (formerly Technology Transfer)
- No Cost Extensions
- Data Management Guide
- Project Management Toolkit for Complex Proposals
- MyResearch Project Lifecycle