The Life Sciences Building has won the Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce's 2018 Building of the Year! The seven-floor, 187,000-square-foot-research and teaching facility is designed to facilitate innovation and collaboration, and will help UW Biology maintain its leading edge in the life sciences.
Here's what the voters said:
- “This building features stunning cantilever exterior form and most advanced green building technologies inside.”
- “Pushing sustainability in a world that badly needs building to respond. No other buildings even addressed the issue.”
- “Stunning clarity of programmatic expression. Incredibly innovative sustainability response. Great street presence and strong brand expression.”
- “The use of reclaimed tree for a complete wall and the custom greenhouse makes this building quite spectacular.”
- “I love the simplicity, the lines, the attention to the future like the recycling of water for the greenhouses. The open design seems essential for changing learning environments.”
- “This building is really cool because of it’s use of solar glass fins to provide ongoing clean no-cost energy to the building.”
Read the full article on the Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce's website.