You are here

Grad Travel

The Department of Biology is pleased to be able to provide $500 in travel reimbursement for graduate students presenting at a conference every two fiscal years. These funds may be used to pay for travel, registration, or lodging costs. A maximum of two awards can be granted to students during their tenure.

In addition, the Graduate Program Manager can request Graduate School funds on your behalf, up to $300 for domestic travel or $500 for international travel to a conference at which you are presenting.  These funds are competitive (not guaranteed), and can only be recieved once every two years.  These funds may be used to pay for airfare or conference registration only.

To request either departmental or Graduate School travel funds, you must complete the Travel Authorization form, indicate that you are requesting department/Grad School funds, and have your advisor approve the request by the date indicated below based on your travel plans.


Travel Dates


Travel Dates

May 27

July 1 – Aug 31

Nov 27

Jan 1 – Feb 28/29

June 27

Aug 1 – Sept 30

Dec 27

Feb 1 – Mar 31

July 27

Sept 1 – Oct 31

Jan 27

Mar 1 – Apr 30

Aug 27

Oct 1 – Nov 30

Feb 25

Apr 1 – May 31

Sept 27

Nov 1 – Dec 31

Mar 27

Mar 1 – June 30

Oct 27

Dec 1 – Jan 31

Apr 27

June 1 – July 31


Seeking other sources of funding for travel?

The Graduate & Professional Student Senate offers competitive travel scholarships.  Visit their website for more information on how to apply.

The UW's Population Health Initiative also offers travel funding for those presenting a population health related poster, presentation, or speech.  Population Health is broadly defined by this initiave - visit their website for more information to determine your eligibility.


International Travel

COVID Update: Effective September 10, 2021, graduate students must register their international travel and apply for a travel waiver for all countries with a DOS Travel Advisory Level 3 or 4. Travel waiver requests must be submitted through the UW Study Abroad Independent Learning program by the following deadlines:

Early Fall/Autumn Quarter – May 15

Winter Quarter – November 1

Spring Quarter – January 31

Summer Quarter – April 15

  • If you are traveling to a country with a DOS Level 4, you must submit a written endorsement from your committee chair (or equivalent) and Graduate Program Chair, Caroline Stromberg. Please secure these endorsements prior to the independent learning application process. You will upload them as part of the application

More information can be found here:

Per the Student International Travel Policy (SGP Chapter 211). This policy outlines three important pre-departure requirements for all students traveling abroad for official academic purposes:

  1. Register international travel with the Office of Global Affairs (OGA)
  2. Purchase comprehensive medical and evacuation insurance while abroad
  3. Request a waiver for travel to high risk destinations

This registration is required for all “University-sponsored international travel,” including conducting research if you are receiving a salary, stipend, or academic credit;  attending or presenting at a conference and receiving funding from the UW; or participating in a structured study abroad program.  Simply put, when you leave the country because of your research, you will need to register and purchase insurance.  GAIP insurance does not meet the requirements necessary to waive the purchase of travel insurance.

The purpose of this policy is to:

  1. Help ensure that UW students have a safe and successful academic experience abroad
  2. Raise awareness so that all UW students know about international health and safety resources and services when traveling abroad
  3. Institutionalize long-standing best practices that help ensure the University’s ability to consistently provide efficient and effective, 24/7 support to all students studying abroad

Though there is no tracking of this new policy, the department strongly encourages you to follow the policy each time you exit the country related to your academic work.  This is intended to protect you in the event of an emergency – health, political, natural disaster, or otherwise.  Students who fail to register their international travel in accordance with this policy may not receive University assistance in case of emergency

The cost of travel insurance is less than $2/day, and is non-reimbursable as defined by Washington state law, so you must pay out of pocket.

Please visit the Office of Global Affairs website for more information and FAQs.  

Date last changed Oct 21st, 2021 @ 13:42:06 PDT